- The leadership of every hospital shall create and instil the Culture of Safety in their hospital.
- Every hospital shall have a person designated for patient safety.
- Every hospital shall have a patient safety committee with representatives from medical services, nursing,
engineering, housekeeping, pharmacy and infection control that shall meet every quarter.
- Every hospital shall train all its employees on patient safety issues.
- Every hospital shall educate its patients on patient safety issues.
- Every hospital shall have a policy and implemented a system on reporting of adverse events within the organization.
- Every hospital shall implement the International Patient Safety Goals.
- Every hospital shall cooperate with one another and exchange information about adverse events, including errors,
their solutions, and “lessons learned” to improve patient safety.
- Every hospital shall collect rates at least for the following patient safety indices:
- Patient falls
- Pressure ulcers
- Needlestick injuries
- Medication errors (Prescription, transcription, dispensing and administration errors)
- Hospital-acquired infections
- Antibiotic utilization
- Hand washing
- Minor and major incidents of fire
- Every hospital shall participate in the Patient Safety Program under the aegis of the National Patient Safety Implementation Framework, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.